Monday, October 31, 2011

India Update


Yesterday we worshipped with the believers at the church here in Siliguri.  I was able to give the message and the pastor translated to Nepalese.  Jeff led the communion part of the service.  It was a special experience to remember the sacrifice Jesus made with fellow believers right in the middle of a land filled with idolatry.  Many of the homes here have mini-temples out front with Hindu idols.  I don't recall ever seeing such visible idolatry before. 

We are staying at a children's home that Pastor Jiwan and his wife Esther run.  They have a school behind the home and are starting to reach out to the community through the school.  There are presently 13 children and two women who live at the home.  Many of these children either do not have parents that are living or who are able to care for them.  Here they are loved and taught.  They are also taught about the love of Jesus Christ.  The ministry here truly is a light shining in a dark place. 

Today we are headed up into the mountains to Balusan to visit the church and have fellowship with the believers there.

As an aside, I am reading "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Philip Yancey.  I highly recommend it.

Thank you for praying for me.

In Christ,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment